Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Deerfield, Logging Boots, and Spotted Swine

I <3 fair season. 

I set my clock around which fairs I can hit on which weekends. 

Last weekend was Deerfield Fair in Deerfield, NH. 

It was pouring rain. 

My friend Nicole (who is just as crazy about cows as I am) went anyway. 

We walk through the gate. 

My heart starts beating a little faster. 

There is an overabundance of boys in Carhartts and logging boots. *sigh*

Smells of steak and cheese, french fries, and fried dough are EVERYWHERE and I immediately gain 5 pounds.

Our first stop was to find our academic advisor Pete Erickson who raises North Country Cheviot sheep and brings the best of the best to the fairs every year. Here are his prize winners: 



The swine barn was next on the list. You know me, a big sucker for anything that snorts, squeals, and has curly tails!

For one (brief) moment I thought about buying one of these and trying to hide in our backyard:


The oxen barn is another must see. Some of these beasts are taller in the back end than I am tall. Prime example:


Seriously?


Oh boy. 









Even though it was pouring rain, we managed to have a blast.


We ate. 


Lots of food. 


Junk food. 


We watched some good ole' horse pulling. 

Saw ginormous pumpkins that people spend their whole lives growing. 
Well, maybe not, but you get the point. 

I had my fill of fried dough, boys in logging boots, and pretty looking cows...for now. 

Fryeburg next weekend!!!






No comments: