Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Farm Tour

In all of my spare time, I manage a small farm over in Madison, NH on the weekends. It is really just a small family farm with a variety of animals, but it keeps me outside and on my toes.

I thought I would give you a little photo tour of the place so you can check it out for yourself.

First of all, the view is absolutely gorgeous,





This is the barn that is currently under construction:



There are several sheep and several goats to keep the sheep company. The sheep are pretty skiddish because they haven't been handled much, but the goats are very friendly and are always talking to me! Now, kids, pay attention! This is what happens when you don't use your napkin!



This is my little friend, my back pocket goat. She follows me everywhere. She delivered a baby two weeks ago, but sadly we lost it. I think the whole experience has made her more attached to the people who care for her, which is a good thing.



This is the current love of my life. She is a gorgeous jersey. Jerseys are slow growers, but produce some of the richest milk. She is pregnant and due to calf later this winter.



This is Paraday. He is the bull of the farm and very much in charge. He and the two other heifers are part of the Dexter breed. Sometimes they are also called miniature cattle. They will never grow to be very big. Paraday has been a bit of a pain lately, and he certainly was not going to be pushed out of this photo shoot!



And last, but certainly not least....the alpacas! They are just funny to look at!



Check out these choppers!



This little guy is the baby...isn't he the cutest thing you have ever seen?


That's about all from the homestead. When the heifers start calving in a couple weeks, then we'll really have something to talk about!

1 comment:

Kristel [nnjagurl] said...

I am still in love with that sweet little nanny goat. I didn't know she'd lost her kid. :( Poor little sweetie. Hey, when do I get to tagalong again? Remember, it has to happen BEFORE mud season! ;)