Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Red Tent

Being a college student does not leave a lot of wiggle room for pleasure reading; this I have come to understand. After reading for classes, assignments, and homework, the last thing you want to do is pick up another piece of reading material, pleasurable or not. So, over winter break I endeavored to read some books just for myself and the one I just finished was phenomenal.



It is entitled The Red Tent and it was written by Anita Diamant. A good friend of mine recommended it to me and suggested I read it over winter break and I am so glad I did.

It is a first-person narrative which tells the story of Dinah, daughter of Jacob and sister of Joseph, and a talented midwife. The book's title refers to the tent in which women of Jacob's tribe must, according to the ancient law, take refuge while menstruating or giving birth, and in which they find mutual support and encouragement from their mothers, sisters and aunts.

This fictional interpretation of history was very well written and provided a good story. I just might read for fun a little more often.

1 comment:

Kristel [nnjagurl] said...

I am really glad you liked it. :) And you should ALWAYS read for fun...make time for it!